Today i really needed comfort food. Not only am i lost somewhere in the grief cycle, but i may also be losing my job soon or be forced to change jobs or something...
so i rememberd that there was one bowl of chili left from the other night in the fridge. now, no one in my family (husband or teenage daughter) eats leftovers. so when i woke up from my pity party nap, a bowl of chili with some cheese on top sounded really comforting.
went into the kitchen, and before i even got to the fridge, i saw the lid to the tupperware container that held the chili. mind you, JUST THE LID. and when you add that to the fact that my daughter had arrived home minutes before and cooked something in the microwave, I knew i was doomed.
you know how it is when you build something up in your mind and you have that taste in your mouth before you even take the first bite only to have your bubble burst.
so being in the frame of mind i'm in, i made her go to the store and buy me the ingredients to make another batch. which led to a whole nuther headache.
mind you, this is the girl who has been dragged to the grocery store for her entire 17 years on earth. she has seen me shop for food; she has helped pick out items; she has heard me lecture on reading labels and checking prices.
so here was the list i gave her:
- lb of beef
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can each of pinto beans, chili beans, kidney beans
- 1 small can diced chiles
She called me FIVE times from the store!
- What kind of beef? (me: ground beef like we always buy when we make chili; her: Oh yeah, huh!)
- What size cans of tomato sauce? (me: the medium size like we always buy; her: Oh yeah, huh!)
- I can't find chili beans. (me: in the same aisle with the baked beans and canned tomatoes, probably just right where you were; her: Oh yeah, huh!)
- Um, did you want all the bean in cans? Cuz I have a bag of the dried pinto beans in the basket. (me: just like the list says, CAN of pinto beans. We've never used the dry kind to make chili; her: Oh yeah, huh!)
- What are green chiles? (me: in the Mexican food aisle, the small can of diced green chiles we get to make the chili; her: Oh yeah, huh!)
Now, she comes back to the house, without (YOU GUESSED IT) the onion. I didn't have the heart to tell her. she really does try, but she has two strikes against her right now...she's blonde and 17.
I think she will have to find another way to a man's heart besides through his stomach...
Bottom line, I made my chili and put the cheese on it and chased that down with an anti-anxiety pill and all is right with my world for now.